OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 17:36:23 -0500
I visited North Chagrin Reservation today (1/7) in hopes of finding the
Barred Owl found on Thursday the 5th, reported by Lukas Padegimas. He
provided great directions in his post on where to find it. I got to North
Chagrin around 11:30 and followed the directions to the owl. My mom and I
got to the hemlocks and it took us about 5 minutes only, then we spotted
it sitting. It was pretty out in the open and I got great pictures.

Then I stopped again at the Forest Picnic Area where the owl was and
refound. However, the owl started flying more west into the forest, out of
the hemlocks section. I then left after that. Thanks again to directions
Lukas provided. I will put them down below this for anyone interested in
trying to find it. Also present in the park and at the Nature Center were
the following birds:

Gadwall 3
Mallard 59
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 5
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
American Robin 2
Dark-eyed Junco 4
American Goldfinch 3

Good Birding,
Cole F. DiFabio

For those interested here are the directions:
Arrive at the main entrance of the park and find your way to the Forest
Picnic Area. Continue to the end of the road there and park your car. Now,
the picnic area is to your left, the paved road with no vehical access to
your right, a field is behind you, the forest is before you. Enter the
woods from the paved road and take the trail left. Pass the first side
trail on your right, but take the very next one on your right. As you walk
a certain distance, you will find the the road diverging - take the left
route. You will eventually see the hemlocks, the rock, and the owl.