OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:31:26 -0500
The Eurasian Wigeon was seen today (see the post by Tyler Ficker on cincinnatibirds.com) and
reported to have seen yesterday (FRIDAY) by Fernald Preserve staff (per private communication with
Brian Wulker).

At dusk this evening, my husband and I saw a "likely" Eurasian Wigeon (cinnamon-rufous headed
wigeon) with 2 male and 1 female American Wigeon land on the Weapons to Wetlands pond (large
pond to the right of the visitor's center with observation platform).

Other birds present: American Kestrel (we saw 1 but another couple reported up to four) , Rough-
legged Hawk (1), Short-eared Owl, Great Horned Owl (2), Green-winged Teal (12), Northern Pintail
(1), numerous Mallards, Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwall, Killdeer (8), Great Blue Heron (2).

Additionally, we observed an American Kestrel perched just past where I-74 W merges with I-275
W (near the Great Miami River).

If you need directions to Fernald Preserve:
 From I-275 on the westside of Cincinnati (SW Hamilton County), take the Miamitown/Rt. 128 exit.
Head through Miamitown (north on Rt. 128). Follow 128 for several miles. Just past the small
brown "Fernald" sign, turn left on Wiley Road. Fernald will be on your right in less than a mile.

Ann Oliver
Cincinnati