OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2012 07:54:00 -0500
Here are a few more notes on Lorain Harbor from today.  I first stopped by

the harbor around 11:30.  There was a lot of merganser movement in and

outside of the harbor.  Surprisingly other than common mergansers and a few

mallards, not much waterfowl variety.  I also found a pied-billed grebe and

a couple coots, and a bufflehead.  There were some ring-billed gulls and

herring gulls feeding in the harbor and lots of gulls out on the lake.  I

did not see anything of note.  I stayed until around 12:30.

I stopped
back at the lake again around 4:00.  There were a lot more
mergansers in the
harbor and many more herring gulls throughout the harbor.
Almost immediately
I noticed a lot of gulls and mergansers in the air just
beyond the east
breakwalls.  You could tell there was something scaring up
the birds and
about where it was.  However it was behind the breakwall and
not visible
from my vantage point west of the river.  Finally the jaeger
came into view
as it crossed between the east and west breakwalls.  It flew
behind the
lighthouse and turned back to the east.  It flew around a bit
there before
heading into the east part of the harbor flew by the floating
docks scaring
the birds there up.  I did not see it fly back into the main
harbor.  I
drove over to that area but was unable to relocate it.  When I
was by the
impoundment I saw a killdeer flying around.  I went over to the
river and
panned through all the herring gulls.  I was able to find a first
cycle and
adult lesser black backed gull and a first cycle Thayer's.  There
were a lot
more gulls further out and south of the bridge that I didn't get
a chance to
go through.

Lorain may be worth checking at dusk.  It seems like a lot of
birds are
heading into the harbor to roost.

John Pogacnik
4765