OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:29:05 -0500
decided to head out the day before myfirst day of work in 2012 (teacher) hit N Chagrin (Cleve Metropark) @ 8:15to see if i could find the Barred Owl  - no luck@ A.B. Williams lot walk to "the rock"saw - Red-belliedDownyHairyPileatedWhite-breastedTitmiceChickadeesRobins 9:05 to Sunset Pondonly 30-ish Mallards 9:20 i tried to see if there was anywhere icould get a look around the Cuyahoga CtyAirport in Ricnmond Hts - there is no where!! 9:45 to 9th St Pier and Inner HarborEast of the pier was 20+ RB MergsInner Harbor had10+ RBMergs5 Cootsbetween both sides there were 30-ish gulls flying aboutall seem to be RBs 9:55 to USS Cod12 Mallardsmany RBMergs flying about 10:00 Burke15 minutes driving slowly looking for movementanywhere, had small scope and binos.5 minutes looking to east end - nothing! 10:20 Lakeside Yacht Club20ish Canadas - NO gulls 10:25 just east of CPP 50+ RBMergs 10:3055th St west bayCanadas - 40+Mallards - 25+RBMergs - 10ishCoots - 60+Gulls flying about (not many - RBs only) 10:45 to Gordon rampRBMergs - 9Great Blue Heron - 1RBGulls - 20ishGreat Black Backed - 1 (adult, great view          of it preening in the stell of the launch) 11:10 CEI discharge (not discharging of course) met up w/Haans and othersRBMergs 50ish rafting 100-150 ydsEared Grebe - 1Horned Grebe - 2Canvasback - 2Long-tailed duck - 1a few hundred gulls were milling about, some rafting out farther     mostly RBGulls although we spotted a few Herring and another    Great BB  Gullalso we had a Bald eable (mature) spotted out beyond breakwall we decided to give the owls of Burke another try aswe were joined @ CEI by other birders who had justseen the Short-eared @ BurkeNO LUCK! 11:40 to Wendy Parkon the way you could see thousands of gulls (on ground) from bridge as i drove overthe Cuyahoga River between the railroad cars and the bridge, manywere on the gravel piles and tarps at the park we walked out to the Coast Guard Stationonly GULLS, GULLS, GULLS (and a few RBMergs)and as we saw a few DC Cormsand a pair of Kestrels on the wires by the tracks on Friday i did the Conneaut to Headlands runConneaut Boat Launch lot 9:00100+ CanadasLagoonGreat Blue Heron - 1Mallards - 50+Buffleheads - 4the marina just north of the windmill had 200+gulls on a sheet of ice (ALL RBGulls) there was a chain up stopping vehicles from gettingto the spitfrom up high on the bluff i scoped many hundreds of gullson the beach by the spit (too far to ID) on the way to Ashtabula i see 1 Bald Eagle (mature)in Bula to see RTGull - no luckSnowy Owl(s) - no luck 11:20 in Fairport (boat launch)Eared Grebe with 4 RBMergsBald Eagle flying over Grand River (imm) Headlandsi walk trail closest to parking lot to breakwalland back to my car up the fisherman's path andi onle see/hear Cardinals, Chickadees and Titmice!only a handfull of Gulls to be seen anywhere buster