OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:51:17 -0500
My sister had never gotten out with me to see the Short-eared Owls, so I thought we'd try Big Island Wildlife area, and we found great success. Around 5:30pm on Espyville Rd S. (TH 84)(this was in sight of the railroad track along rt.95 to the north) just near a pull through type pull off for the wildlife area, there was a male Short-ear up on a small tree posing nicely. I got him in the scope and we saw several other raptors almost immediately. Just behind him in a shrub was a Northern Harrier juvenile, in the background flying around were a couple more Northern Harriers, beyond that were two Bald Eagles in a tree, and just to the north was another female Short-eared Owl. We watched the male short-ear chase the female harriers when they flew too close which was good entertainment. Later on on our way back to Delaware Ohio, we watched these same owls flying and diving on prey items, and they were joined by a third owl. We drove up to 95 and on to Prospect Upper Sandusky Rd N. (rt 203) and pulled in to the drive by a shed there and saw several other Short-eared Owls and a male Northern Harrier. As Steve Jones noted, there are many waterfowl in the area, but we saw nothing unexpected. It was a great time as usual, and very pleasant weather. Big Island is located in the general area just a few miles west of Marion, along rt. 95.
Good Birding
- Ben Warne