OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:40:00 -0500
fellow bird voyeurs,

     Checked the nest site of the Great Horned Owls today, with a scope.
 This time, in addition to the two ear tufts, we saw an eye looking back at
us.  We immediately took the scope down and went back home.  This nest is
only about 250 yards from our houses, but very isolated.  It is in the
middle of our 60 acres, which are themselves surrounded by state land and
farm land.  The only people that will ever bother this owl are us, and we
will definitely keep that to a minimum.  Probably won't even go back for
another week or so.  However, when the young are hatched, I will try for
some discrete photos.  As stated before, you can stand eye level with the
nest for some great looks.

     Also saw a single Snow Goose at nearby Clouse Lake, for Perry County
year bird number 67.

     For those who flunked  Geography, Perry county is located south of I -
70  between Lancaster(Fairfield County) and Zanesville. (Muskingum County).
The entire county population is probably still less than 40,000, and that
includes about 7 or 8 known birders.  Always interested in hearing from
other closet birders from Perry county.

joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County