OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Dennis McDonnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis McDonnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:33:44 -0800
Between 11 & 12 this morning I heard some knocking above me in a tree, looked up
and spotted a pileated wp at Lakeview, upper level in back corner by pine grove
and dump.  I noticed another bird on a branch not far away, same tree and same
size bird, Merlin as far as I could tell.  Though I check out Lakeview several
times a week I have't seen a pileated there for over a year...the small raptor I
did see about a month ago, lower level of the cemetery.  A quick dogfight ensued
with the Merlin taking the offensive whenever the pileated spread out it's wings
to fly but always landing back in a bit of cover...looked like a longer flight
would have spelled disaster.  I suspect my presence may have had something to do
with the eventual cessation of hostilities, the pileated flying into the pines
and the merlin going to the top of a medium sized tree and then off.

Five so-so photos, starting here:
http://www.pbase.com/tileman533/image/141535556

Denny McDonnell
Euclid