OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:46:16 -0500
My wife and I stopped at Killdeer Plains on Wednesday, Feb 15, mid-day on
the way to Indiana. There were large numbers of waterfowl on the large
ponds in the SE corner just north of CH-68. These included tundra swans
(100s), Canada geese (100s), mallard (100s), gadwall (40-50), pintail
(20-30), green-winged teal (5-10), widgeon (10-20), redhead (4-5), black
duck (15-20), coots (6-8). We drove through the area and saw several
raptors including bald eagle (2), N. harrier (2), red-tailed hawk (3),
kestrel (6-8). Did not see rough-legged, as we had hoped. We did not have
time to look for owls. Standard wintering song birds were seen, including
one mockingbird. On the far west side we had a cock pheasant crossing the
road slowly. I walked up to the edge of the upground reservoir and was
surprised to find hardly any waterfowl except four female goldeneye and
several Canada geese. There was very little snow left, so we did not see
snow buntings, though we found a few horned larks. It was a nice visit, but
nothing spectacular. Randy Rowe, Wooster