OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Bill Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:14:36 -0500
Tammie and I had very good looks at a Northern Shrike at Indian Creek today.
Details are included below.

Bill Stanley

Williamsburg Ohio

Indian Creek Wildlife Area--Greentree Marsh, Brown, US-OH Feb 18, 2012 8:45
AM - 11:00 AM

Protocol: Traveling

5.4 mile(s)

32 species

Canada Goose  50

Mallard  12

Hooded Merganser  1

Turkey Vulture  8

Bald Eagle  1

Red-tailed Hawk  1

Killdeer  2

Rock Pigeon  8

Mourning Dove  3

Red-bellied Woodpecker  2

Downy Woodpecker  1

Northern Flicker  1

Pileated Woodpecker  1

Northern Shrike  1     Northern Shrike first seen as Tammie and I were
walking North on the dike at the west side of the impoundment I noticed a
grey bird sitting at the top of a shrub next to the parking lot
(39°10'54.99"N, 83°53'27.75"W) we looked at the bird and saw that it was a
shrike.  As we moved closer the bird moved to the top of a large tree
boarding Campell Rd.  At this time we put a scope on the bird and could see
that it was in fact a shrike.  The back and head were light grey with a thin
black mask through the eye.  The belly was white and at this time I could
not see any barring.  The bill appeared to be large and we thought we might
have made out a downward hook on the end.   Wings and tail were black.  The
bird then flew east over Greentree Marsh.  Tammie and I drove to the parking
lot on the East side of the marsh and started to walk around the ponds.  The
NSHR was low in shrub along the first pond.  When it saw us the bird flew to
the top of a very tall tree on the far side of the pond and at the
intersection of the dike separating the two ponds.  Tammie watched the bird
and I took the scope and went to the field on the east side of where the
shrike was located.  With the scope and very good light I could see that the
black mask on the bird was thin and only though the lower half of the eye.
A thin white line was over just the eye.  The feathers above the bill were
white and the bill had a substantial downward hook at the end.  There was
very faint barring on the white belly.  Other than when we saw the bird by
the parking lot and the pond the bird was always high in the top of trees.
The bird frequently bobbed its tail.  When the bird flew it was always very
direct.  I managed to get a poor, but identifiable digiscope photograph in
which the large area of white on the wing is evident as well and the white
above the tail.

Blue Jay  15

American Crow  10

Carolina Chickadee  8