OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 23:28:27 -0500
A thousand pardons - I forgot to enter the subject when I posted  earlier.

Linda and I managed to find free time this afternoon and headed up to
Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area in Wyandot County. The ponds were open but the
variety of waterfowl was limited. Multitudes of Canada Geese and Mallards
everywhere but beyond that things were less plentiful. Pond 27 had Gadwall
(100+), a small number of American Wigeon (10), American Coots (50+), and
Tundra  Swans (34). The pond along TH-108 had a couple of Trumpeter Swans and
Tundra  Swans (22).  In a flooded depression in the farm field north of the
intersection of OH-294 and CH-115 we found a pair of Redheads. Raptors were
hit  and miss. we found 5 Bald Eagles, 10 Northern Harriers, 8 Red-tailed
Hawks, a  Cooper's Hawk and many American Kestrels. The field along TH-108
yielded  20+ eastern Meadowlarks. The rest of the normal suspects were scatter
about the  area including American Tree Sparrows, Horned Larks and Red-winged
Blackbirds.

At Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County there were various waterfowl
scattered in the ponds. Species included Trumpeter and Tundra Swans,
Pintail,  American Wigeon, Ring-necked Duck, Black ducks, and American Coots.
Raptors  included many Northern Harriers (including Steve Jones missing gray
males), Bald  Eagles and Short-eared Owls. The Short-eareds put on a show
soaring over the  fields, circling around us and one landed on a small tree right
in front of us -  Linda's favorite.

Charlie B