OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 03:51:58 -0500
I made my grand tour of 14 eagle nests Sunday 2/19. I stopped for gas
before leaving Columbus and as I was traveling west on Rt 161 between
Hamilton Rd and Sunbury Rd a Coopers hawk flew across the road in front of
me. Good start. My first nest stop was on Rt 315 across from High Banks
metro park. I did not see any movement in or around the nest. I then
headed for the Prospect nest. As I was going north on Rt 23 right at the
northern city limit of Deleware I spotted two adult Bald Eagles circling
above the highway. I asume they are the pair from the nest south of the
Deleware WA. I continued on to the nest on the Sciota River south of
Prospect. One eagle at the nest and the other perched in a tree nearby.
Next stop Big Island WA. One eagle on the nest south of the road. Next
stop Killdeer Plains WA. After I turned off of CH 119 on to CH 68 and
drove by the big ponds on the north side of the road I spotted two Bald
Eagles circling. I continued to the Area HQ. and observed one eagle on the
nest to the east of the HQ buildings. I then went to the nest south of CH
71 and saw two eagles on that nest. I continued to drive the roads at
Killdeer and I saw one more eagle flying west of OH 67 just north of the
upland reservoir. The next nest was located on CR 62 on the east side of
Rt 23. No eagles sighted there. Probably because the farmer was doing some
chores in the area of the nest. He was riding a four wheeler. Moving on to
the next nest on SR 199 west of Rt 23. Two eagles here. Both were on the
nest but one flew just as I got there. The other one sat very low in the
nest. Could they be on eggs already? Moving on north of Upper Sandusky I
stopped at the CR 44 nest. One eagle sitting low in the nest. On to Cr 29
where I saw two eagles perched on the same branch near the nest. Going
further north on Rt 53 to the nest just north of Rt 103 there was one
eagle perched in their favorite tree. I could not see if there was a bird
in the nest. Traffic is dangerouse here with very little room to pull off
so I did not look more than a couple minutes. Those previouse five nests
are located in Wyandot Co. I now took Rt 103 east into Crawford Co. and
turned South on Rt 100. Just south of the turn is Woodside Rd. This is my
favorite nest since it is about 75 yards from the road and the road is a
dead end with very little traffic. Two bald Eagles were perched right next
to the nest. The last nest of the day was just inside Seneca Co on Rt 19.
There was one Eagle perched in a tree near the nest. This nest is
difficult to see even with the leaves off. I could not tell if the nest
had a bird in it.
    I was on the road looking for raptors from 11:30 to 6:30. Total count:
Coopers Hawk-1
Adult Bald Eagle-20
American Kestrel-24
Red Tail Hawk-10