OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Dale Brubeck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:53:19 +0000
I came home from an overnight in the Hocking Hills to see much discussion about swans.  So I want to report that I saw several swans at Lake Logan and most notably and close up was a swan with an entirely black bill and to my view a v-shape above its black bill.  There was no sign of a yellow lore....  This swan was in the company of a couple of mute swans--all at the first dock area as you drive in off of 674.  This black-billed swan also had a little wash of golden-brown feathers like an immature...but the bill was solid black.  I can't believe it could be a trumpeter but maybe someone down in that area could check it out.  No sign of banding.

Also saw hooded mergansers, gadwall, kingfisher, great-blue heron, lots of coots, bald eagle and of course Canada geese and mallards, including some crossed with domestic ducks.

Dale Brubeck