OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:59:14 -0500
Monday I spent an amazing weather day at and around The Wilds (Muskingum
County) looking for birds.  Temps warmed a little bit but the wind was
minimal and the sky was as blue as can be this time of year.  I had some
excellent birding as well but was unsuccessful locating any Golden eagles on
this trip. Admittedly I haven't sought them there as much as I used to, I
figure I will see what I will see if I bird there enough.  Three winters ago
- I had excellent luck with this species, I could basically drive through
International Road, give a look out from Jeffrey Point or somewhere alone
Zion Ridge road  - I would have luck.  That is not the case this year.  This
species has been elusive for me this winter with having had it only once out
of about 7 or 8 trips so far this season.  Luckily, that was on the CBC - so
that's good.  Most notable is that I paid a visit the week before this and
did not see one duck or goose - waters were not frozen.  Of course - there
had to be some waterfowl on the interior of the Wilds, but it was peculiar
that there were none to be found anywhere that was accessible to me.  Zero.
During this visit I had decent diversity and numbers of waterfowl.

Areas travelled were Zion Ridge Road, International Road, Prouty Roud, Dye
Cemetery Road, Rural Dale Road and Coal Hill / Haul Roads area (Knox
Cemetery area) - and a couple connector routes in between.

Here is a species list:

Northern shrike - 1 flew in front of my truck at the "intersection" of Rural
Dale Road and Sky Drive Rd (TWP Hwy#51), landed briefly in a shrub and was
not seen again despite some looking around.

Canada goose - 16

Ring-necked duck - 46

Redhead - 13

Bufflehead - 4

Green-winged teal - 2

Gadwall - 34

Hooded merganser - 6

Mallard - 4

Rough-legged hawk - 4, including one really dark morph

Kestrel - 6

Harrier - 5

Red-shouldered hawk - 1

Red-tailed hawk - 14