OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:10:20 -0500
Had a much better day birding at Hebron Fish Hatchery today than any day earlier in the week (Killdeer Plains and Black Hand Gorge, e.g.).  Total of 35 species, including two new year birds:

Canada goose
American wigeon
Gadwall
Green-winged teal
Mallard (probably around 250, but hard to count-very skittish)
Northern shoveler
Ring-necked duck
Bufflehead
Great blue heron
Red-tailed hawk
American coot
Killdeer
Ring-billed gull (I was thrown at first by the 1st winter birds-gotta learn those gulls!)
Mourning dove
Belted kingfisher (One male apparently has overwintered.  Another got a little too close and a fierce scuffle ensued.  Intruder retreated in disgrace.)
Red-bellied woodpecker
Downy woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker
Eastern phoebe (new year bird-along old canal near HQ bldg)
Carolina wren
Carolina chickadee
Tufted titmouse
White-breasted nuthatch
American robin
Blue jay
American crow (mobbing red-tails)
Yellow-rumped warblers (possibly 5, 3 seen simultaneously, in loose flock with chickadees, titmice and downies)
Song sparrow
Swamp sparrow (new year bird - close to Blind #4, Duck Pond Rd. entrance)
Dark-eyed junco
Red-winged blackbird
Common grackle
European starling
House sparrow

Hopefully, I didn't leave anything out.  Until this year, I had never birded this location.  It is rapidly becoming one of my favorites!

Margaret Bowman
Newark, Licking Co., OH