OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Jim Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:20:04 -0500
Hardy Eshbaugh and I continued our search around the lake but found no gulls
other than the 3 species reported by Bob. We located 2 female surf scoters
from Harveysburg Road, in a cove to the north; and then relocated them from
a vantage point in the Mound Ridge Campground area (so identified on the
map; the sign gives it a different name . . .). They were hanging out with a
different species, a C. Goldeneye I believe; it made the ID challenging
(esp. in the rain) because it was showing white on the wings.

Thanks to a tip from Rebecca Elefante at the Visitor Center, we then got
good looks at a single female white-winged scoter in the lake directly below
the dam. It was hanging out with a couple of scaups. There's a nice viewing
area just off the left side of the road after you cross the dam coming from
the Visitor Center.

Jim Michael, Oxford