OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:16:08 -0500
The last few days I have found several calling Red-shouldered hawks in different areas around Columbus. They include:
 - calling bird in Dublin (Heather Glen) last Sunday
 - calling bird in east Gahanna (Bryn Mawr Park) Wednesday
 - calling pair around old nest in south Gahanna Wednesday
 - calling bird in Worthington (Rush Creek Village) Thursday
 Coinciding with other reports of the species being territorial (e.g see Robert Evans' report from Muskingum Co.), I have to assume these are birds that are trying to set up territories.  While this is not so unusual in the forested parts of eastern and southern Ohio, this species seems now quite rare around Columbus.

Could it be that they're more widespread, but are more secretive except during this initial burst of territoriality?  I had seen the south Gahanna birds early last year, but not later in Spring.  I thought the location too suburban for nesting; now it appears that I was wrong.  I have noted calling birds in other locations in February and March in years past, like Blendon Woods, Greenlawn cemetery, and Alum Creek Lake, where I have difficulty finding them later in Spring.  Perhaps they nest there as well, maintaining a low profile the rest of the year.  Maybe we don't recognize the Red-shoulders in our midst because we don't hear them in later Spring, and they don't perch out like Red-tails.