OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:22:41 -0500
I have seen a lot of red-shouldered hawks hunting near the roadside. It must
be because there is no snow. I usually see one hunting from a low line at
the corner of Chaffee Road and Route 82 (Cuyahoga County) at the edge of the
corn field. I have not seen or heard pairs yet.

I have seen a couple of pairs of red-tailed hawks. Last Sunday one pair was
sitting together on a branch right near the intersection of Brandywine Road
and old Route 8 in a tree in the old golf course (Summit County). I also saw
a pair flying close together in South Chagrin Reservation (Cuyahoga County)
near the intersection of the main parkway and Arbor Lane during lunch on
Tuesday.

It has to be getting close to nesting season for these hawks.

I heard that they closed the railroad tracks near Station Road Bridge in the
Cuyahoga Vally National Park because the bald eagles are gathering sticks
for their nests. (You can view the nest from the bike path.)

I also just got the movie "The Bird Year" from the library. Anyone doing one
this year?

Hope you see some birds today!!!