OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:17:16 -0500
I met Rick Asamoto and Mike Busam at the Caesar Creek Beach this morning.
Bumped into Leslie Houser and Kathi Hutton a couple of time throughout the
day at Caesar Creek. Ran into the Wulkers at Spring Valley. These areas are
in Warren and Green Counties.

Before meeting up with Rick and Mike I had a possible Golden Eagle flying
near the SR 73 bridge. The bird was uniformly dark except for some white at
the base of the tail. It was too large for a Harrier or Rough-legged hawk.
It also did not have the the rectangular wing look of a Bald Eagle. There
was a Bald Eagle that flew in the general area about 15 minutes later that
did not look anything like the bird I saw. It was heading in the direction
of the wetlands near the visitor center. Birders in the area may waant to
keep an eye out for this bird.
Birds seen:

Canada Goose
Gadwall
Black Duck
Mallard
N. Shoveler
N. Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Lesser Scaup
Surf Scoter (CC campground)
White-winged Scoter (CC visitor center)
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Pied-billed Grebe
Black Vulture
Bald Eagle
(Golden Eagle)
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Virginia Rail (end of boardwalk at Spring Valley)
American Coot
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull