OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:25:38 -0500
Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cabin  fever out did the bug I’ve had for the last two weeks. Linda decided
I had to  get out for my sanity (or hers?) so we took a circuit of some of
southern  Delaware County.
The  first stop was Oxbow Road which is minutes from the front door. The
causeway is  still blocked for cars as high water has been a problem so we
walked the  gravel road to the boat launch at the end. It was worth the walk as
we started  with an obliging Black-crowned Night Heron that was scrunched
up in a tree  looking for all it was worth that it wished it were someplace
else. It lifted  its head and watched us; its red eyes seemed as intense as
hot coals. This  exposed the white plumes that extend from the head and its
large beak that had  been tucked into its feathers. As we continued on it
tucked its head down,  lifted one leg and resumed its slumber.
In the  open water surrounding Oxbow Road were a variety of waterfowl.
After the Canada  Geese and Mallards, Hooded Mergansers were in the majority and
there were  several decent rafts of Ruddy Ducks. The Ruddy Ducks seem to be
attracted to the  area as attested by the 467 we tallied on the Hoover
Reservoir CBC, all at or  near Oxbow. There were about 10 Common Goldeneye mixed
with the Hooded  Mergansers. The drakes were busy courting the hens and
displaying. Gulls were  standing on the ice and floating in the open water. We
scanned for anything  unusual but only found 2 Herring Gulls with the rest
all Ring-billed  Gulls.
I made  a quick check on the Bald Eagle’s nest. One adult was on the nest
and the other  perched nearby.
We  then made a run north using back roads to the Delaware Wildlife Area.
Horned  Larks were everywhere but no longspurs or buntings were found mixed
in.
At the  Delaware Wildlife Area I was surprised to find the pond and marsh
of Waterfowl  Management Area A bone dry. No dabblers today although this
area is usually  great during the spring migration. The deep water of Delaware
Lake was better  but not great. Lots of Canada Geese and Mallards but lesser
numbers of Northern  Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Hooded Merganser,
Red-breasted Merganser, American  Wigeon, American Black Duck and Gadwall.
Not  the best list going but after two weeks housebound I’ll take it.
Charlie B