OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 20:52:44 -0500
Fellow lovers, chasers, counters of birds,

     Returned to the Rehoboth Strip Mine Reclamation Area just north of New
Lexington in Perry County to look for Northern Harriers, and Short-eared
Owls. Vicki and I, county residents, were accompanied by Linda from
Franklin County and Margaret from Licking County.  They both had the
appropriate documents to enter the county. Arrived around 5:00 and didn't
see much for quite a while.  Finally saw one, then three Harriers, but was
beginning to think the Owls would be a no show.  After 6:00, we finally saw
one, possibly two Owls, and was still thinking that would probably be it
for the day.

     It was then that we spotted* EIGHT* Northern Harriers flying almost in
a group.  We watched for a while, thinking they might be headed for a
communal roost.  They then started dropping into the short grasses, then
flying back up, and all the time putting on a magnificent flight display
unlike anything we had ever seen.   Finally they were all on the ground and
we realized that this, in fact, was their communal roost.  A first for all
of us.

     As we drove out, we spotted another Short-eared Owl who was obligingly
teed up in a short tree and giving us spectacular looks.  While watching
it, we glanced to the left and saw four more flying above the next ridge,
with the beautiful sunset behind them. Another spectacular show.

     We have now found Owls and Harriers on three out of four visits to
this wonderful new birding area, which Vicki has dubbed "The Perry County
Wilds".  Keep in mind that areas nearby are still being mined and trucks
are always present except Sunday.

     To add to this great birding adventure, we had PREVIOUSLY visited the
Great Horned Owl nest on our property near Somerset.  The Owl was present,
and we are hoping for little Owlets as soon as a week or so.  We will send
out birth announcements, and photos of the little darlings, if possible.

joe in the woods
somerset, ohio
perry county