OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Marcia Brehmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marcia Brehmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 00:48:39 -0500
On Sunday, February 26, I made my second trip to Ashtabula to try for the snowy owl (saw the Black-tailed Gull on the first trip with the help of another birder).  We arrived late afternoon, and a thorough scan from the parking lot north of the cement bridge on 531 overlooking the railyard found the snowy owl on a cross beam between two poles in the distance off to the left.  Eventually the owl flew closer and landed on a pile of stuff (maybe old railroad ties?) on the ground next to a colorful "No Trespassing" sign.  Soon a truck in the railyard approached the owl, and it flew even closer and landed on a thin pole near the front of the railyard.  We got superb looks at the bird!  The whole viewing lasted about 45 minutes to one hour until it got too dark.

Monday morning, we went to picnic shelter on the hill in Lake Shore Park and quickly found the Black-tailed Gull sitting on the nearest blue industrial building, apparently a frequent resting spot for the gull.  While observing it for about 20 minutes, it flew to a new spot on the roof, then flew off and returned to its first spot shortly.  Saw its field marks very well.

We returned to the railyard overlook, and eventually found the snowy owl again on the ground between railroad tracks pretty far out.  What a successful trip!

Marcia Brehmer
Columbus, Ohio