OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Adam Beeler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Beeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 17:42:10 -0500
I just got back from seeing the Shrike at Pickerington Ponds.   I
started out as the original e-mail said and parked by the naturalist's
office.   Scanning the field described, I did not find the Shike.
Continuing on towards the duck blind, I ran into a few other birders
who were also looking, but had not seen the bird.   We got a tip that
they were across the street at the Glacier Knoll Picnic Area.   We
went there and started looking from the observation deck.   We
searched for about 45 minutes before finally seeing the Northern
Shrike at the north edge of the fields.   He was between 100 and 150
meters away perched in light gray trees.   Look at the tree line with
the much taller trees behind, then concentrate low and in front of
that line.   It would intermittently perch on top of one of the light
gray trees, then swoop down below eyesight and reappear on another
tree.   This bird has apparently moved pretty far between sighted
locations, so who knows where he will be tomorrow.   We also saw a
group of 7 Sandhill Cranes and a Northern Harrier.   Good birding!

-Adam Beeler
Columbus, Ohio