OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Rick Asamoto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:53:25 -0500
Laura Keene and I birded the reservoirs in Findlay and the Lima area today. At the Findlay Reservoir the fog did not lift until after 1:00, and we saw nearly as many birds before it lifted as after. A single Mallard and 6 Common Goldeneye were the only waterfowl seen. There were also two flyover Sandhill Cranes.

In Lima, the Lost Creek Reservoir had 1 Red-breasted Merganser and 3 Common Goldeneye.

Just down the road at Metzger Reservoir we saw 6 Lesser Scaup and did not see any waterfowl on Ferguson, viewing from the boat ramp. We did see what were very likely 20-25 Snow Buntings flushed by a walker on the dike between Metzger and Ferguson.

At Bresler Reservoir we just saw a single Bufflehead and a single Common Goldeneye.

At the new Williams Reservoir just across the road (west) from Bresler we found a nice assortment of waterfowl highlighted by 11 Greater White-fronted Geese and two white geese which were either Ross’s or hybrids. The waterfowl list from Williams:

Tundra Swan 2
Canada Geese 650
Ross’s or Ross’s/Snow 2
Mallard 30