OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 07:38:52 -0800
I got some waterfowling in yesterday 2/7.  Started along the Mahoning R. from Lowellville to Struthers, the only bird of interest was an imm. red-shouldered hawk.  On to Evans L.  It had the best diversity on the day: 2 Am. wigeon, 1 canvasback, 4 redheads, 3 ring-necked ducks, 6 lesser scaup, 2 buffleheads, 3 c. goldeneyes, 16 hooded  mergansers, 5 ruddy ducks, 61 Am. coots, ring-billed & herring gulls, Carolina wren, and dark-eyed juncos.  Went to Pine L. next, it was disappointing with 18 hooded mergansers as the only highlight.  Saw an Am. kestrel in Boardman Twp.  That finished up the Mahoning Co. birding, I headed to Trumbull Co. next to visit Mosquito L/WA.  Mosquito birds included: Am. black duck, 16 n. shovelers, 130 common mergansers, 10 Am. coots, red-tailed hawks, ring-billed & herring gulls, e. bluebirds, and dark-eyed juncos.  On the way home in Mahoning Co. again, I tried for woodcock at a trusty Coitsville Twp. spot at dusk.
 No timberdoodles were present there yet.   Craig Holt, Lowellville