OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
"Bruce M. Bowman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 00:03:47 -0500
Date sent:              Wed, 1 Feb 2012 07:08:05 -0800
Send reply to:          Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: [Ohio-birds] More detailed info on the location of sightings
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Hello Don,
>
> Welcome to Ohio-birds!
>
> Yours is a perennial complaint. We'll try to do better, but history
> teaches that we will soon fall back into our old habits of referring to
> places as if everyone knows them.
>
> The places that are most frequently referred to without any discussion of
> their locations are the long-established birding destinations. If you go
> the the Ohio Ornithological Society website <www.ohiobirds.org> and pull
> down the "Birding Library" menu, you'll find a list of popular birding
> locales.
>
> One of the simplest and most effective methods for getting more
> information about a place is to google it. When I was doing the Ohio Rare
> Bird Alert, I was able to answer almost all my questions that way.
>
> Happy birding,
> Paul
>
> Paul Gardner
> Columbus, OH

If the location of a birding site is not given in a post, it's often
helpful to know where the author of the post lives because the birding
site mentioned in the post is often/usually in the same area.  This
information can be put in the "sig" (signature) of the email.  Most email
programs provide a means for defining a sig that will be appended
automatically to every email.  Paul's sig above is simply "Paul
Gardner/Columbus, OH".  "Columbus, OH" will normally be enough, I'd
guess, to tell you the general area of a birding site that he has
mentioned in a post.  An example of a sig with more detail about where
the author lives, and presumably birds, is mine, below.

Bruce
Bruce M. Bowman
Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
Washtenaw Co., southeast Michigan