OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 08:10:41 -0500
Went out in my yard at 7:15 this morning and heard the familiar song of
the woodcock.  Not the peent call, but a little pattern of notes that it makes
while sitting on the ground. I don't know if that is it's song, or a call note, but
quite distinctive.

At least two birds.....will trundle out in the fields tonight to see if there are more.
Frohring Meadows, just up the road from me, is a good spot to look for them.

Perched in the dead elm, which is a favourite outlook for all the hawks, was a
Great Horned Owl surveying the same fields.  I've been seeing one or two owls
for the last week, and have located at least one roosting tree with lots of whitewash
and bone filled pellets, but I  haven't spotted a nest.

If there is a nest, does anyone have any thoughts on how far away from it a night roost
might be?

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Road,  at the Geauga/Cuyahoga Co line.