OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:16:49 -0500
Fellow birders,

     Went for a cold winter walk this afternoon, with my neighbor and co
land owner, Vicki Derr.  Our first mission was to check out the old Red
tailed Hawk nest in an area where we had recently heard dueting Great
horned owls. The nest is in a large Sycamore tree in our main hollow.  When
on the hill west of the hollow, you can stand almost level with the hugh
nest.  Sure enough, sticking out from the nest were the ear tufts of the
owl.  That's all we ever saw, but they moved around a lot and occasionally
disappeared.  One shown reddish when it caught the sunlight.  That was
enough for me.  We had hoped and in fact predicted that these owls would
choose this old nest for their new nest site.  It's perfect for them, and
for us, as well.  We will be able to cautiously and discretely observe
these birds as they hopefully hatch their young and later fledge them.
 Looking forward to great photos, as well.

    Earlier in the week, when it was considerably warmer, Vicki watched
from her office window as a Red shouldered hawk caught a snake in the
prairie and carried it to a nearby snag.  A bit early for snakes, but it
was a lot warmer.

     Given that the day began with Rusty blackbirds at the feeder and ended
with a Great Horned Owl on a nest, it would have to rate as an above
average birding day here in Perry County.

Joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County