OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:09:30 +0000
Last night about 9pm, I had a brief glimpse of a bird with large, whitish wings that landed on a building housing RAPTOR, Inc's education birds, including a Great Horned Owl and a Barn Owl.  We walked around the side of the building and heard a wild BARN OWL calling from the woods.  From where I stood, it was obvious that the screams were not coming from the mews in front of me, but from the woods to my left.  The sound moved around, further confirming that it was coming from a free-flying bird, not the one confined in directly in front of me.

This is on property owned by RAPTOR, Inc., Cincinnati's raptor rehab group, located on Barg Salt Run in Clermont County.  The bird was in the woods which are part of the Cincinnati Nature Center.  This particular tract was once referred to as Wildwood Camp, which was previously owned by the Presbyterian Church and was acquired by CNC in 2004.

Kathi Hutton
Clermont County
SW Ohio