OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:31:53 -0400
A beautiful day on South Bass Island so Paula Ziebarth and I took a drive
around the island this morning and reported the following:

Common Redpolls-2 Common Redpolls were observed today at Kit Knaser's
feeder. She has a flock of about a dozen that have been visiting regularly
(twice yesterday.)

Tree Swallows-3, the first of the year seen by Paula at her nest boxes near
the South Bass Island Airport.

Ring-necked Ducks-4
Hooded Merganser-3, in Terwilliger's Pond
Pintails-4, flying over Scheeff East Point Preserve
Canvasback-xx
Redhead-xx
Lesser Scaup-xx
Common Goldeneye-xx
Bufflehead-xx
Red-breasted Merganser-xx
Mallard-xx
Canada Goose-xx
Great Blue Herons-2
Turkey Vultures-7
Coopers Hawk-2
Northern Harrier-1

Yesterday, I got a chance to bird on Pelee Island, just to the north, and
saw the following
Tree Sparrows-flock of about 20
Wood Ducks-30 in pond near Fish Point
Killdeers-everywhere in farm fields
Song Sparrow
Brown Creeper
Red-bellied Woodpecker
The sand tip was split in two pieces with over 100 gulls at the end-with at
least 1/3 of which seemed to be Greater Black-backed Gulls.
There was what at first glance appeared to be a Horned Grebe near the point
but did not get a second look.

Lisa Brohl