OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Steve Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:18:53 -0400
I spotted a bird that I can't seem to identify. I was driving eastbound on
Eastern Road near the intersection of Serfass Rd. just south of Wadsworth
OH. I spotted a large bird flying about 150 yards north about 60 feet up. It
appeared to have dark wings and initially I thought it was a Bald Eagle
because I saw some white. I had to take my eyes off of it because of
oncoming traffic but when I reacquired it the bird banked left and it seemed
to have a white body and dark wings. This made me very curious because
nothing came to mind that was this big and had that color scheme. I
proceeded down the road looking for a northbound road that might get me
closer when the bird started heading south. I turned around and headed back
the way I came. The bird crossed the road about 100 yards in front of me. It
was losing altitude like it was planning to land somewhere. It looked like
it had long legs like a Heron but now that I think of it it might have been
carrying a stick for a nest. I pulled into a long driveway next to a lake
and talked to the owner. He said he's seen that bird and didn't know what it
was. He was familiar with Blue Herons and said it wasn't one of them. This
location is a few miles away from Silver Creek Metropark and there is some
type of wildlife preserve just to the southwest. I wish I had gotten a
better look.Any Ideas?

An update. This bird was spotted again flying over the swampy area at the
intersection of Rte.57 and Rte. 585 by the aforementioned land owner.
Steve Hughes
330.459.0161