OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:42:53 -0400
I spent the evening at the Hebron Fish Hatchery.  Despite the torrential rains and resulting flooding in the area on Thursday, there was still a good variety of waterfowl: scaup, bufflehead, ring-necked ducks, coots, wood duck, mallard, shoveler, both teal.  The bald eagle is still on the nest, with another soaring high.  It looks like the great blue herons may be creating another heronry.  A huge swirl of tree swallows, as dusk approached.  I thought I heard a marsh wren again, but I just could not locate it.

40 species, nothing terribly unusual.

However, the good news:  several of the ponds have been drained, and if they stay this way, it will be IDEAL for migrating shorebirds in the next few weeks.

To get to this place, take the Route 79 exit south off of Interstate 70.  Stay on Route 79 through the little town (Buckeye Lake), and about 1/2 mile out of town, look for Canal Street.  It runs along what is left of the old Ohio Canal.  Watch for the fish hatchery on the right.  However, the best birding is to continue past the hatchery entrance to Duck Run Rd.  Turn right and go maybe 1/2 mile and you'll see a small parking area to the right.  Park there and walk.  I prefer taking the direction toward "Blind #4" (follow the signs), but almost anywhere will yield interesting birds.

Margaret Bowman
Newark, Licking Co., OH