OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:12:10 -0700
I have been going to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland recently but had only been going on the weekends so I have been seeing the birds others have already been seeing.  I thought I would post what I have been seeing.  I was there Saturday and today I was there from 9:40am to 2:40pm.  Yesterday was very hazy on the lake.  Lake was very calm both days.  Today 68-74 degrees, 8-7mph S to SSW to S winds. I walked with Jeanne Hrenko for one hour in the morning.  Here are my highlights only and most everything was in Villa Angela only - new birds Golden-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creepers, Eastern Phoebes, American Coot and Fox Sparrows have been around since 3/11 but were more abundant today.  Last weekend there were multiple Horned Grebes, 2 Bufflehead and a Pied-billed Grebe in the marina but did not see any of them this weekend.

American Black Ducks 2  (Villa Angela woods 3/18)
Red-breasted Mergansers - multiple hundreds vary far north of Wildwood (too far to see others)
American Coot 1 - marina 3/18 (returns every year)
Double-crested Cormorants 2 flying west
Northern Flickers ~ 5
Eastern Phoebe 2  (3/17 only)
Brown Creepers  5 today (2 yesterday)
Winter Wrens 2 singing today
Golden-crowned Kinglets 14-15 today (only 2 yesterday)
American Robins - very abundant
Northern Mockingbirds 3 today (2 near marina, 1 near Lakeshore entrance)
American Tree Sparrow 1 today
Fox Sparrow  7 today-- started seeing only 2 on 3/11 and 3/17 only in Villa Angela
Song Sparrows 20-25
Dark-eyed Junco  ~ 5 today
Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles and many Starlings, Killdeer pair
American Goldfinch - seeing & hearing more now

Mourning Cloaks 2 seen 3/17, 1 seen today
Cabbage White 2 seen today
Spring Azure 2-3 seen each day

I sometimes stop at Aberdeen Business Park on Golf View Lane off of Bishop Rd in Highland Heights on my way home.  This is where Paula Lozana has found many birds.  I stopped there yesterday and couldn't find much but today I heard and then saw 2 Eastern Meadowlarks in the fields.

I stop at Bluestone Business Park in Euclid across from Euclid Square Mall but other than the Killdeer and Northern Mockingbird the only thing of interest is large numbers of Red-winged Blackbirds in with the Starlings.  Last week there were over 75 today I didn't count but were over 50.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/