OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Irene Krise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Irene Krise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:28:52 -0400
After feasting on the traditional pancake breakfast and enjoying the Buzzard
Day activities this Hinckley-ite bugged down to the Columbus area to peruse
some of her favorite parks to the south. I was greeted by a Sharpie at
Blendon Woods just after parking my car. I knew this was gonna be a great
day in the field. Blendon also hosted several Tree Swallows, E. Phoebes,
Field Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Bufflehead, Ring-necked Ducks, and a
stealthy Great Blue Heron just to name a few. An Eastern Garter Snake posed
for some pics as well. Down the road at Kiwanis Riverway Park, Carolina
Wrens, N. Cardinals, Titmice, Downy Woodpeckers and Song Sparrows were
working along the Scioto River.  Several turtles were basking on logs and on
the shore. Among them were 2 fairly large Eastern Spiny Softshell Turtles,
really handsome specimens! I took at peek at Honda Wetlands and found that
the Tree Swallows were busy around the nest boxes as E. Meadowlarks sang in
the surrounding field. Finishing the day at Big Island and Killdeer Plains
certainly produced the birds. Harriers were working the fields as I drove
into the area, and watching the Trumpeter Swans and N. Pintails coming in to
roost was fantastic. Pond #27, my personal favorite, was teaming with
Gadwall, N. Shovelers, handsome N. Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Coots, Ruddy
Ducks, Redheads, Greater Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, and A. Wigeons. Mixed
flocks of thousands of blackbirds started streaming in steady groups and
dotting the tops of the tree line as they put down. I heard the call of some
Sandhill Cranes and caught them flying over and descending just over the
treeline behind pond #27. The sky at sunset resembled the colors of an opal
and made the perfect end to this Hinckley girl's Big Day.