OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 04:23:28 -0400
I started off checking out the reports of osprey that have returned to
the Alum Creek Lake nesting platforms at Hog Back Rd. There were two birds
at platform #1 that were dueling over the property rights. One bird landed
on the platform and the other made repeated dives on him. They then
continued the dueling for several minutes and finally disappeared to the
north.

    I then checked out the eagle nest on the east side of I-71 north of
Rt. 36/37. There was one eagle on this nest. It is not safe to stop on I-
71 so I did not see any other birds nearby.

    I then headed over to the fish hatchery near Buckeye Lake looking for
the eagle nest there. I spent several hours driving around with no luck. I
need better details on the location of this nest. Can anyone help me?

    Next stop Granville. The nest is west of town visable from the old Rt.
16 road. Go west of town on Grandvilles main east west street. As soon as
you are next to the new four lane route 16 start looking north along the
river. If you get to the farm with the U.S. flag on the grain storage bins
you have gone too far. There was one eagle in the nest and one flying
overhead.

    On to Utica. Take Rt. 13 north out of town to Vance Rd and turn left.
The nest can be seen south of Vance Rd just before getting to Range Line
Rd. There was one eagle on the nest.

    Staying on Rt 13 I drove north through Mt. Vernon. This nest can be
seen from Rt. 13 just before getting to Green Valley Rd. There is a
farmers pull off on the east side of Rt. 13. The nest is very visable but
there is a large limb that blocks the view of most of the nest. You can go
north of this location and turn right/east on Beckly rd. Go to Upper
Fredrickstown road and turn right/south. Go south looking right untill you
see the nest. It is more visable from this road but there are no really
good pull offs. There was one eagle on this nest.

    Next stop was Knox Lake. Take Rt. 95 through Fredrickstown to Mishey
Rd. Continue on Mishey Rd. to Spohn Rd. Turn left on Spohn rd and stop
near the red barn. The nest is to your left in the large woodlot. There
was one eagle on the nest. There is another large nest to the right of the
eagle nest. It appears to be a redtail nest with a bird in it. It was
raining hard so I could not get a very good I.D. on that bird.

    I then headed cross country to Danville. Take north Rt. 62 out of
Danville. Mickley road intersects Rt 62 twice. Turn right at the second
Mickley rd. and go to Hunter Rd. The paved road makes a 90 degree turn to
the right and Hunter road is the dirt road that continues straight. Follow
Hunter Rd until it dead ends at the old bridge. The nest is to the right
of the bridge. There was an eagle on the nest.

    I back tracked on Rt 62 through Danville and on south past Rt 36 to Rt
229. Turn right/west on 229 and go to Killduff Rd. Turn right/north and go
past the three way stop signs. Continue down hill and park next to the
sand/gravel operation. The nest is seen to your left front. There was one
eagle on this nest. The really bad weather was moving in so I did not stay
long.

    I then headed for the last nest of the day. I went back north and then
east on Rt 36. Go left on Rt 715 to the Knox/Coshocton County line. There
is a pull off on the right 1.2 miles inside Coshocton Co. The nest is
located along the river approx 600 meters southwest of this pull off.
There was one eagle on this nest. This location has been a very good
location for observing eagles. My friends and I go there a lot. The best
day we had was 11 adult and immature eagles in one afternoon. They perch
all along the river especialy near Zuck rd.
    I was also able to get a visual sighting on a pileated woodpecker
along Zuck Rd today. Nice!

Totals for the day
osprey-2
bald eagle-9 adults
Readtail hawk-4
killdeer-2 FOY for me
pileated WP-1
Many many turkey vultures with a kettle of approx fifty at Hoover Res.

Don Stover
Columbus