OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:19:04 -0400
Fellow surrogate bird parents,

     The Great Horned Owl nesting on my property in Perry County was still
on her nest this morning despite the torrential rain that fell yesterday
evening.  By our reckoning, Friday was the latest possible date that the
eggs could have hatched.  In reality, they probably hatched about a week
ago.She has been sitting much higher in the nest, and I believe there are
Owlets under her instead of eggs.  It's a hugh nest, and it may be another
week or so before they are visible.  I'm hoping for a "they" as opposed to
an "it".

     In other nesting news, we spotted another nest last week, this one
with a Red Shouldered Hawk on it.  She, too, was there this morning.  Each
of these nests are about 300 yards from my house, one to the northeast and
one to the southeast.  I anticipate a great spring watching these babies.

    In yet other nesting news, the Bluebirds have occupied the nest box in
the front yard, the Carolina wren in in the Chicken's mailbox, the
Phoebeis under the porch eve, the
Chickadees have taken over a nearby gourd house, Wood Ducks are
investigating a new nest box on the pond, the Prothonotary warbler boxes
are cleaned and waiting, and a Barred Owl is nesting somewhere in the
Spruce trees. I am a lucky birder to have such a place.

Joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County