OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:36:18 -0400
Dear Surrogate Owl parents,

     We are pleased to announce the birth (hatching) of at least two baby
Great Horned owls in their Perry County nest near Somerset, Ohio.  They
were seen this evening for the very first time, although judging by their
size and activity, they are probably about ten days old already.  Two were
clearly visible, and apparently eating something. Eyes, which don't open
until about day six, were staring back at us as we viewed them through a
scope. Mom was probably out "shopping" for something else to eat.

     It's difficult to judge, but these babies were already almost the size
of a screech owl.  They may well be older than ten days, but they certainly
are healthy and active.

     I've said it before, and this is definitely the time to say it again,
but we have a *great* place here, and it's now  a *great* home for two new *
Great* Horned Owls.  Visitations rights will be strictly controlled, but if
we've talked about it before, email me to make plans.  Appropriate baby owl
gifts will be accepted, including road kill.

Joe Faulkner
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County