OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 03:50:58 -0400
3/20

0800 departed home

0820 Bixby Rd, Groveport nest observed one eagle on the nest one perched
nearby

0845 Rt 104/Haul Rd Columbus nest one eagle on the nest on perched nearby.
I also checked the osprey nest on the south side of Rt 104 and found one
osprey perched nearby. There was no nesting material on the platform.

0910 Rt 315 across from the High Banks Metro Park. One eagle perched
nearby but I did not see any movement on the nest.

1000 North end of Alum Creek Lake. There was a pair of osprey on platform
#1. I wonder if I was mistaken the last time I was here and reported two
osprey dueling for rights to platform #1 and it was actually the pair
reafirming their bonds after a winter in South America.

1030 Rt 229 at the north end of Deleware Lake. There were two osprey on
the platform.

1040 The eagle nest south of Prospect. One eagle on the nest.

1100 Big Island WA. The nest south of Larue-Prospect Rd. had an eagle on
it. It's mate was feeding on an old deer carcase in the field between the
road and the nest.

1130 Killdeer Plains WA. The newest nest on the island in pond 31 had an
eagle on it. It's mate was perched in a tree south of CH-68. I moved on to
the Area Hqs parking lot and looked east at the original nest. There was
an eagle on it. I then moved to CH-71 and observed an eagle on the nest
and it's mate perched in a tree way out in the field.
    A note of interest. When I was turning around in the western most
parking lot on CH-68 I nearly ran over a Killdeer on her nest. She was not
going to move. I was able to back up and then move alongside the nest and
lean out the window and snap a few great photos of her. I hope nobody runs
over her nest.

1225 CR-62 Wyandot Co. on the other side of Rt 23 from Killdeer Plains at
the farm with the red barns. One eagle on the nest and one perched nearby.

1235 OH 199 Wyandote Co. One eagle on the nest and one perched nearby.

1310 TR 49 Wyandote Co. One eagle on the nest. This nest is hard to see.

1325 CR 44 Wyandote Co. One eagle on the nest.

1340 CR 29 Wyandote Co. One eagle on the nest and a juvenile nearby but
not too close to the nest. This is the nest I saw two adult and six
juvenile eagles at the same time this past winter.

1355 OH 53 Wyandote Co. One eagle on the nest.

1405 CR 19 Seneca Co. There were two eagles on the nest transfering the
duty.

1425 Woodside Rd of Oh 100 Crawford Co. One eagle was on the nest and as I
was talking with a couple that was also watching the nest the other eagle
came into view, circled overhead a few times then made a very dramatic
swoop to a perch near the nest.

1450 OH 19 just north of the Senac/Crawford county line. One eagle on the
nest and the mate perched nearby.

I spent some time looking for a reported nest near OH 19 and TR 8 in
Seneca Co. but was unable to locate a nest there.

1550 The Gallion nest in Crawford Co. One eagle on the nest.

1620 Clear Fork Reservoir OH 97. There was an eagle on the nest and just
as I got there the mate flew in and dropped off food and left. The eagle
on the nest got up and started tearing small bites off and feeding it to
the chicks in the nest. From what I could see it looks like there are at
least two chicks.

I spent some more time looking for nests that either are not there or I
couldn't find.

1750 Pleasant Hill Lake Pleasant Hill Rd. Richland Co. One eagle was
perched near the nest and the other was on the nest feeding chicks. From
the movements of the adult it appears there are two chicks.

1820 Black fork of Mohican River (Honey Creek?) CR 775 just west of TR
2744 Ashland Co. When I pulled up there were two eagles on the nest but
one of them left just as I stopped the truck. Obviously food had been
delivered and the remaining eagle started feeding a chick. AS near as I
could tell it was giving food to only one location in the nest. Maybe only
one chick has hatched and hopfully a second will hatch soon.

1845 Jeromesville nest south of CR 1975 7/10 of a mile west of CR 175 in
Ashland Co. One eagle on the nest.

1900 Elyria Rd. 500 meters south of OH 95 in Wayne Co. The nest is west of
the road. There was one eagle on the nest.

1930 Holmes Co east of Loudonville CR 22 south of OH 3 just before CR 22
crosses the Mohican River. The nest is south of the road. There was one
eagle on the nest.

At this point the eagle count was 38. I made a mad dash for another nest
at Jelloway but got there too late. It was just light enough to see the
nest (a new one for me) but way too dark to see any eagles.

I packed it in and headed home. I got home at 2110 having traveled 426
miles in 13 hours and 10 minutes viewing 24 nests (and one after dark).

Total count for the day
Bald Eagles 37 adult and 1 Juv.
Osprey 5
Red Tail Hawk 9