OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Katrina Heinzen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katrina Heinzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:48:19 -0400
Greetings all,

I almost didn't post because it was just so odd, but I've got "good ears"
and I've got to trust them.

I believe I heard and then spotted two fish crows over Cleveland Heights in
Cuyahoga County, one block west of the main branch of the public library.

These two birds were giving their distinct calls in flight and were hotly
pursued by another crow giving the familiar American crow sound for a nice
comparison.

I know American crows can make a variety of sounds, so I started listening
to samples on Macaulay to see if Am. make anything similar to fish and
didn't find anything yet, but had limited time.  I did listen to *young*
American crows and those were not similar to what I heard.

Since it was odd to see them away from water and I realize they're only
recently being documented in our state, I welcome any thoughts, especially
if anyone knows that American crows can indeed make fish crow-like sounds
and I just need to listen more!

A few years before Bill Whan predicted we'd be seeing (hearing) them here
based on sightings in other Great Lakes states, I did think I heard some at
the lakefront near Mentor, so now I'll remember that observation in a new
light.  Maybe it was possible then, too.

Happy spring!
Katrina Heinzen
Cleveland Heights