OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:38:38 -0700
Had a few free hours this morning on what has turned out to be a busy spring break and decided to see what was around at Funk Bottoms Wildlife Area.  The trail that goes out past the observation deck was crawling with sparrows, including one NELSON'S SPARROW.  Within Funk Bottoms, the exact location I had this bird is a little difficult to describe but I will try my best.  If you walk along the trail that goes out past the observation deck and walk a little ways out (I am bad with distance so I won't make a guess) you will see a big rusted metal culvert out in the water on the left.  The bird started in the grass along the trail a little before the culvert and then flew across the trail (when I saw it first) into the sapling-size trees on the right side of the trail.  It sat in these saplings for awhile with the group of song and swamp sparrows hanging out here before dropping into the grass and foraging, moving away from the trail until he got out
 too far to see.

A note on this bird.  He was not difficult to see or follow.  Unlike many of the nelson's sparrows that I have seen he made very little attempt to hide.  I say this because I do not feel that it is worthwhile or ethical to walk out too far into the grass.  I feel like walking out and trying to kick this bird up would be a waste of effort, would trample the habitat, and probably kill a ton of frogs, especially with all of the people that will be out there tomorrow for migration sensation!

I did get photos of the bird which I will post on the birding ohio facebook page as soon as I can figure out how.  The web address for this site for those who aren't on facebook is http://www.facebook.com/groups/BirdingOhio/ .

Good Birding!

-Ryan Steiner
Wayne County