OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:41:17 -0700
Not  wanting to fight the crowds and the possible bad weather tomorrow, we
decided to have our own "migration sensation" at Killbuck Marsh & Funk today.
It was a beautiful day to be out but unfortunately, not much of a sensation.
One of the best things about birding there today was that Prairie Lane was
closed to through traffic.  We could still access it from Messner Rd and bird
the whole road with hardly any traffic.  We were there 1 1/2 hrs and saw only 3
cars.  Wish the marshes would have been full of waterfowl so that we
could really enjoy it.  Hope it is still closed tomorrow so everyone else can
bird along it as easily as we did.

Here is a summary of the day's waterfowl and a few other highlights:

Canda Geese--large numbers everywhere
Mute Swan--1 on Prairie Lane
Wood Ducks--Prairie Lane & Messner Rd, total 35
Gadwall--large numbers on Cemetary Rd & SR 95
Am. Wigeon--   "                        "                    "
Black Ducks--some on SR 95
Mallards--some everywhere
Blue-winged Teal--Prairie Ln
N. Shoveler--Prairie Ln, Cemetary Rd, Wilderness Rd, SR 95
N. Pintail--a few hundred on Cemetary RD & SR 95
Green-winged Teal--Prairie Ln & SR 95
Ring-necked Duck--Cemetary Rd. & Valley Rd, north of Clark Rd.
Lesser Scaup--Prairie Ln.
Pied-billed Grebe--Valley Rd., north of Clark
Cormorants--Wilderness Rd
Bald Eagle--1 each at Wright Marsh, Wilderness Rd & SR 95 (an imm.)  (Didn't go
to the nest on Force Rd)
Coots--Cemetary Rd & SR 95
Dunlin--1 on Prairie Ln.
Red-headed Woodpeckers--at least 5 on Messner Rd
Pileated Woodpecker--1 on Valley Rd., north end
Eastern Towhees--several         "                "      "

Hope this helps those who are out tomorrow.  Happy birding everyone & hope the
low numbers of waterfowl doesn't spoil the festival.

Laura & Tim Dornan