OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:45:52 -0400
Andy Sewell tells me our discovery yesterday of a hooded warbler at
Scioto Trails SP has been deemed by eBird Ohio's earliest record. And so
it would be if you consulted only Peterjohn's "The Birds of Ohio."
However, there is a specimen at the Ohio State Museum, #7947, collected
"greatly emaciated" in Ottawa County by M. B. Trautman on 3/28/1950, and
two seen on 4/2 of that same year in Columbus (AFN 4(4):245).
        My musings the other day about our unprecedented presence of two-three
Nelson's sparrows at the Funk wetlands (Peterjohn states "Nelson's
Sharp-tailed Sparrows are generally late spring migrants.") were much
helped by Jen Brumfield's suggestion that it is possible these birds
overwintered at the site. Strange as that may seem, it is to my mind the
best explanation of finding this species here 22-23 March.
        Finally on the topic, some very interesting speculations on the big
problems migrant birds face with climate warming can be read at
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/272/1581/2561.full#sec-2
This article involves British birds, but the principles remain the same;
warming effects birds' insect prey, for example, on disparate schedules,
and outbreaks of food and flowerings of plants may no longer match
migration phenology.  Warming won't just move all these schedules up as
one, but could shake things up a lot.
Bill Whan
Columbus