OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:38:07 -0700
Peterjohn does mention these records, although erroneously
attributes the 28 March 1950 record to Toledo.

If one would care to, one may examine the eBird record here.

http://tinyurl.com/ckt9wzz

or simply go to

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/

and enter Hooded Warbler and select March to March in All Years.

There you will find the 28 March 1950 record not merely in Ottawa
County but at the specific site for the record, South Bass Island.

Clicking on the checklist link will further give the citation
(not Peterjohn). FYI, this data record was created 20 Feb 2012,
part of the archival effort at eBird that has seen several thousand
records from the PRIMARY literature entered and vetted within the
database since the first of the year. It is this comprehensive
review of the Ohio ornithological record, not reliance on any one
source, which permitted me to communicate to Andy Sewell my
belief the 25 March report, corroborated by multiple experienced
observers, represents a new record early spring arrival for Ohio.

As regards the recent find of Nelson's Sparrows, I made these remarks
to Ryan Steiner Sat evening within the context of my eBird review of his
find.

"The simplest answer is these birds over-wintered. There is a prior
wintering attempt by 3 birds in Cleveland surviving at least through
1 Feb. This makes more sense than a departure from the coast 8
weeks ahead of the norm."

As to why that is the simplest answer, one may visualize by going
back to the above eBird map link and entering Nelson's Sparrow
keeping the same date parameters. There you will see a stark
distribution whereby there is not a single March eBird record for the
species away from a coastal location anywhere in the United States.

cheers

Vic Fazio
State Reviewer - Ohio and Oklahoma, Project eBird
Please do not use this email for personal correspondece
Please contact me at [log in to unmask]