OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:51:34 -0400
Traffic jam heading toward my home today after school -  so I headed west to allow traffic to fade before heading home. That means Gordon Park Boat Launch. Even though this has been a mild winter here in Cleveland I remember  that at this time last year I was way ahead on waterfowl sightings. At this point last year I had been watching Grebes (4 types)in full breeding plumage. I'm sure the shut-down/slow-down of the CEI plant on 55th has something to do with numbers there.Anyway - here is what the day brought,,,,   4:40 Gordon Park Boat Launch - chilly, strong winds fromthe northeast.     The bay of the launch held -      RBMergs - 40+ (first time seeing the powerboating mating moves)     Lesser Scaup - 2     American Coot - 20+      west of the Inner City Yacht Club (in the same bay, but north of the docks) -      Mallard - 2     Horned Grebe - 2     Pied-billed Grebe - 2American Coot - 3     on the docks were few gulls (and hardly any flying about)     RBGulls - 5HGulls - 2     RBMergs - 20+     Beyond the breakwall fighting the rather large waves were 100+ RBMergs      5:17 west of "The J"  in the Yacht Club bay       RBMergs - 50+American Coots - 40+north of The J were 100+ RBMergs "powerboating" about     still very few gulls anywhere in air and water     there are 50+ in the parking lot (looking for handouts?)      5:48 to Euclid Beach Park     I walked along the bike path all the way east of the trailer park to the gravel path south, I then headed over the parkway and walked the Creek to the bridge and back to my car. EStarlings - lots     MoDoves - a few     Robins - LOTS     HSparrows - LOTS     Grackles - a few     RPigeons - a few     NCardinals - a few     RBMergs - 5     HGull - 1     RBGull - 5     Belted Kingfisher - 1 (FOY)     Downy Woodpecker - 1     DEJunco - 1    Fox Sparrow - 1 (LIFER)     Brown Creeper 1 (FOY)     HGrebe - 1      on my drive home a saw a kettle of 12 TVultures in Willoughby Hills (looked carefully for BVulture - no luck!) buster