OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:06:05 -0400
1000-Left home

1035-Arrived at the Newark nest. 1 eagle sitting low in the nest

1115-The Utica nest had 1 eagle sitting high on the nest

1200-The Mt. Vernon OH-13 nest had 1 eagle sitting low

1230-Knox Lake nest had 1 eagle on the nest and 1 flying above. At this
point I called Jon Minard to get details on a nest I wanted to check out.
He was also out checking nests and was only 15 minutes away. I waited for
him to arrive and continued to watch the nest. One eagle dropped off food
for the eagle on the nest. She immediatly started feeding the chicks and
it appears there are two chicks.

1325-Jon and I arrived at the Butler nest and observed 1 eagle on the nest
and 1 perched nearby. Jon had other duties so I forged on alone.

1405-Clear Fork Lake 1 eagle low on the nest

1445-Galion nest had 1 eagle on the nest and 1 perched nearby

1645-Jeromesville nest 1 eagle on the nest

1700-Funk Bottom nest. 1 on the nest and 1 perched nearby. There was some
thought that the nest I reported last time was different from the one
being watched from the platform on the west side of the water. I checked
from Elyria Rd. and then the observation platform. There is only one
active nest.

1755-Loudonville East nest 1 eagle on the nest. As I was observing 1 eagle
flew in and perched nearby.

1820-Loudenville West nest had 1 eagle on the nest

1916-Jelloway nest had 1 eagle on the nest

1937-Killduff Rd Knox County nest had 1 eagle on the nest and 1 perched
across the road

Totals
19 bald eagles
19 red tail hawks

surprisingly I did not see any kestrels or northern harriers

Don Stover
Columbus, Ohio