OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:20:35 -0400
I took advantage of the great weather to check on activity at Big Island
Wildlife Area in Marion County and Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area in Wyandot
County.

Big Island was saturated with American Coots. A conservative estimate of
3,500. Both Blue-winged Teal and Green-winged Teal were present in good
numbers. Most were at Prospect-La Rue Road and lesser numbers were along SR 95.
Other ducks present included Hooded Merganser, Ring-necked Duck and Wood
Duck.  also present were Trumpeter Swans, Pied-billed Grebes, Northern
Harriers and a  few Greater Yellowlegs.

At Killdeer Plains there were Trumpeter Swans, Blue-winged Teal,
Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Hooded Merganser, and scores of American
Coots. There was a Red-headed Woodpecker at Pond 33 and an Eastern Wood  Phoebe.
I also saw 2 Northern Harriers and 2 Bald Eagles and many Eastern
Meadowlarks.

Charlie Bombaci