OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:40:04 -0700
I stopped at Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks this afternoon from 5:15pm to 7pm as I had not been there since Tuesday.  It was 43 degrees, winds 8-7 NNE.  Only time I spent in Wildwood was in the marina otherwise mostly everything seen in Villa Angela.  With hardly any wind the Fox Sparrows were more noticeable, at least 10-12, Golden-crowned Kinglets 14+, Brown Creepers 6, Eastern Towhee 1 m, Brown Thrasher 1, but the best birds were the two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers which kept me from finding much else (not that there was anything to find at that hour)

They were in the main woods of Villa Angela near the road, not the one to the field or near the grassy knoll.  They were chasing each other flying back and forth in the same area sometimes the same trees over and over and this went on for a long time and they were very vocal.  They especially liked the Tarzan type vines hanging from some trees and a fruit type tree surrounded by big fat evergreen bushes near the road.  Their calls are so unusual and Sibley's description of their close contact call "wik-a-wik-a" (very emphatic) and they do make a call like a cat sometimes.  So I never made it over to the other side of the road or found anything different as it was getting rather late.

Did see about a dozen Bonaparte's Gulls as I was leaving around 7pm feeding along Euclid Creek and the entrance to the lake, also one Pied-billed Grebe on the creek and 150 Red-breasted Mergansers in the marina and entrances by the lake.  Always see at least 2 Herring Gulls on Euclid Creek.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/