OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 13:26:38 -0800
I was looking at some locations along N. Marginal Rd east of Burke Lakefront Airport this afternoon and found a couple birds that I think have been previously reported earlier this year but haven't been mentioned lately.

City of Cleveland Harbor Police Mooring Dock (just east of Aviation High School- west end of Lakeside Yacht Club) - views and counting weren't real good have to look through green wire fence & parking is an issue I parked in entrance to east side of high school

Long-tailed Duck 1 female (one was reported in January at nearby locations)
White-winged Scoter 1 female (thought one was reported earlier nearby ??)
Scaup  - at least 40 looked like mostly Lesser
Redhead - at least 7
Ruddy Ducks - at least 3-4
American Coots, Common Goldeneye, Pied-billed Grebe, Bufflehead, Horned Grebes, Red-breasted Mergansers
The White-winged Scoter was further north near breakwall, didn't have hardly any clear markings on head, milk chocolate brown, small white speck side of wing, when it cleaned itself you could see lots of white on the wings.  The Long-tailed Duck was easier to see as was closer to shore sometimes.

Cleveland Public Power (Whale Building) N. Marginal Rd.
Red-breasted Mergansers - large numbers must be at least 1500
Scaup - at least 42 real far out near breakwall
few Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Horned Grebes, American Coots

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/