OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 22:28:28 -0500

Sunday  afternoon Darlene Sillick, Leslie Sours and I headed north to see
what was  stirring. We started at Upper Sandusky Reservoir, Wyandot County.
Activity was  slow but we still managed a few good observations including
Canvasbacks, Redhead  Duck, Ruddy Duck and Northern Harrier.
Our  next stop was Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area, Wyandot Count. Pond 27
had decent  numbers and variety of waterfowl. Pond 3 and the flooded fields
held additional  waterfowl. Species highlights included Ross’s Goose,
Trumpeter and Tundra Swans,  Pied-billed and Horned Grebes, Green-winged Teal,
Northern Pintail, Wood Duck  and Bufflehead. Northern Harriers put on a show with
males in good numbers. A  Peregrine Falcon was handing around Washburn
Road. Eastern Meadowlarks were  scattered across the wildlife area and Bald
Eagles were soaring  overhead.
The  last stop was Big Island Wildlife Area, Marion County. There was a
nice  diversity of waterfowl, a few Bald Eagles and Northern Harriers, but the
show  stopper was the finale put on by the Short-eared Owls.
A  fun day with good friends. A list of the day’s observations  follows.
Charlie  Bombaci
SPECIES  LIST
Pied-billed  Grebe
Horned  Grebe