OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 04:29:32 -0500
Thanks to Jon Minard giving me information on a number of eagle nests new
to me I set out this morning to locate them. Here are the results of my
day. I first voted at 0930 and then headed east from Columbus on Rt 161
arriving at the Granville nest at 1050. I had visited this nest only once
before. There was an adult BE on the nest. I then went north on Rt 13 to
the Utica nest arriving at 1147. Same result with one BE on the nest. Next
stop was Fredrickstown Rd Knox Co at 1225. Again one BE on the nest. I
then went to the Knox lake nest. Jon told me there was one nest visable
from near the big red barn. At 1250 I verified a BE on that nest but had
seen a nest on the opposite side of the wood lot. I checked it out and
there was a BE on that nest. I went back an forth between both nest
several times and am convinced there are two nests. Next stop was the
Brookhaven nest at 1409. This nest appears to be abandoned. I stayed for a
while and there was no sign of an eagle. The nest looked a little run
down. I moved on to the location of the two Buttler nests at 1515 but was
unable to locate theme. On to the Pleasant Hill Lake nest and found one BE
on the nest at 1543. At 1614 I arrived at the Lucas/Smart Rd. nest but no
luck. If I interpreted Jon's direction correctly it looks like the trees
along the stream where the nest had been located have been clear cut. I
sure hope I'm wrong but I spent some time going up and down the road for a
good ways and had no luck seeing any nest. Moving on I arrived at the
Mifflon nest observed from Harlon Rd at 1633 but again no luck locating
the nest. At 1733 I arrived at The Jeromesvillee nest and was pleased to
find one BE on the nest and the other perched nearby. That's more like it.
I now moved on to Elyria Rd. nest arriving at 1751. I did not obseve any
movement in the big nest on the near side of the lake but did see a
smaller nest on the opposite side of the water with what I think were two
BE moving around in it. I forgot my scope in my hurry to get going so only
had my bino's. I'll list them as probable but I want to put a scope on
that nest to be sure. My last stop was at 1830 at the Killbuck Marsh nest
in Wayne Co. Loosing light fast but was able to see one BE on the nest and
another perched nearby. There were many Red Wing Blackbirds singing up a
storm here. I also heard something that at first I could not identify. I
finaly smaked my forehead when I realized what I was hearing was a number
of sandhill cranes making some noise. What a great way to end the day.
Over 300 miles traveled today. I also observed other raptors during the
day.
Totals:
Bald Eagle-12 with two of those possables
Red Tail Hawk-10
Coopers Hawk-1
Northern Harrier-1
American Kestral-4
Sharp shined Hawk-1
And since you folks up north like to report Turkey Vultures I kept count
today. 29 in groups from one to four. Here in Central Ohio I see them all
the time during the winter so they are no big deal to me. Now Black
Vultures are a different story. I have not seen any yet this year.
Don Stover
Columbus