OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:43:36 -0500
Saturday, March 3 (9:30am to noon) please join Columbus Audubon members and
all guests are welcome while we tour The Ohio State University Museum of
Biodiversity.  We will tour the Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics (BLB) with
Curator Angelika Nelson, Bill Whan will show us around the avian collections
and Dr. Dave Horn will show us around the Entomology and Acarology
collections.

The BLB houses one of the largest collections of recorded animal sounds in
the world. Founded by the late Dr. Donald Borror, Professor of Entomology
and Zoology at The Ohio State University, the collection contains close to
40,000 recordings of over 1700 species of animals.  The avian collection
contains more than 15,000 round skins and eggs that are a representative
sample of the avifauna of the Midwest from the early 1800s through the
present. The holdings demonstrate avifaunal change in Ohio over the last two
centuries, include specimens from historically important expeditions, some
USA state records, specimens of extinct species, and several species that
are listed as endangered in the IUCN red list of threatened species.

The Triplehorn Insect Collection
<http://iris.biosci.ohio-state.edu/index.html>  is ranked among the top 12
university collections in North America.  It comprises over 3.5 million
catalogued specimens, including one of the world's largest leaf-hopper
collections.  Initiated by Professor Josef N. Knull in 1934, the collection
has strong holdings in the Coleoptera, Homoptera, Hymenoptera, Odonata, and
Orthoptera. (Can you say something about the other collections we will be
viewing??)

The location is 1315 Kinnear Road, Columbus, OH 43212 and please park in the
west side of the lot in visitor parking.  https://mbd.osu.edu/